Home league match played on 11 April 2013.
Kicked off at 6:10 PM

Brereton Lion finally got the better of local rivals Brereton Town in this crunch relegation battle played at Brereton Social. Both sides were struggling to field a side with The Ravens allowed to sign five players after the transfrer deadline to "help" them get a squad out for the big game. 

The Lion were without Matyus, Daley and Cockayne through injury, Franklin, Ben Cushen, Southwell and Stockhall were working and Cowlishaw was serving the last game of his suspension. Star fowards Wright and Dunn joined the returning Leo Lehir on the subs bench. 

The Lion started with an attack minded 4-4-2 formation. Dan Cushen in nets, defence consisting of Deeley, Lezniak, Dutton and Mark Hackett. Midfield was Houston, Crutchley, Simpson and the returning Crozier. Cunningham started alongside Matty Hackett up front after a late fitness test on his ankle. 

Brereton Town started stronger, with their new players settling well. Town are always strong at set pieces and they got the opening goal after only five minutes with Gladwin heading homke from close range after a front post flick on. 0-1

Another terrible Lion start and manager Corrigan was fearing the worst with Town playing some good football and looking to add to their goal tally. 

Credit to The Lion players who started to get Crutchley and Simpson using the ball more in the middle and calming things down. Town had a young goal keeper and it soon became obvious that he was quite nervous and not confident dealing with back passes. Cunningham should of scored when he chased a short back pass but his shot hit the keeper . Cunny again squandered a good chance when Matty Hackett wriggled to the byline and produced a smart pull back but Cunny shanked his shot wide. The watching supporters were happy to dish out the abuse to Cunny but he soon made them eat their words. A through ball from the Lion midfield was chased by Matty Hackett who gambled on the keeper not commiting himself. Hackett went in hard but fair and the keeper spilled the ball to Cunny who skilfully found the net. 1-1

Controversary before the halftime whistle, with Lion in total control after upping the tempo, not one but TWO goals that crossed the line were not given. The first one was a glancing header at the near post by Cunny. Sheepy acrobatically cleared the ball off the line and despite hughe shouts for a goal the referee Nigel Kerr was not having it. The second "Ghost Goal" was a screamer of a shot by Matty Hackett, who cut in from the left wing and blasted home from the edge of the box. The ball blasted against the wheel INSIDE the goal and bounced out with pace. Neither the ref nor the Brereton Town linesman were going to give the goal and the whistle for half time blew minutes later with Matty Hackett furious and The Lion pumped up. Dennis Hibbs and the home faithful on the Armitage Lane Bank were certain that both goals were WAY over the line. 

HT 1-1

 A fairly even start to the second half with Dan Cushen not having much to do early on. Some of Brereton Town's fringe players were starting to tire and The Lion sniffed blood. Simpson started running the show, with Paul Brown again having to result to rough house tactics to try and stop him. Houston was as always working extremly hard on the right wing and Crozier was bringing his notorious fitness levels and workrate to The Lion's left flank. 

After going close after skilful work minutes earlier it was Matty Hackett who put the Lion in front. A skilful run from Cunny and a clever pass released Hackett behind The Town defence. Matty Hackett cooly slotted the ball past the keeper. 


Manager Corrigan added some freshness to the pitch at this point with the tiring Matty Hackett and Crozier, who both were making their first start for months, replaced by The Pig and Debo in straight swaps. Debo was told to be a menace and The Pig was bringing his pace to the flank. 

Town were now pressing hard for an equaliser and pushing more men forward. A snap shot from the edge of the box forced a spectacular save from Dan Cushen, bringing a round of applause from the crowd. 

Cunny got his second of the game not long after, sending The Lion crowd crazy with a smart finish. Pig claiming an assist. 


Town were still not giving up. Wezzy and JR were dominant in the air and Deeley and Mark Hackett were excellent at both stopping the forwards and getting the ball down and passing it from the back. JR offered Town a lifeline back into the game though when he was guilty of making a slightly rash tackle in the box, just catching The Town forward and forcing Nigel Kerr to point to the spot. Up stepped the reliable Gladdy to get his second of the game with a calm penalty finish. 


Game on now with both sides thinking they had a good chance to go on and win the game. However the more that  Town pushed on trying to get their equaliser the more gaps it left for the pacey Lion attack. Cunny added his third and final goal with ten minutes left. A strong flick on by Dunn was met with a well timed run. Cunny had to wait for the ball to drop before evading the keeper and finding the net with his weaker right foot. Cunny was replaced to a standing ovation from The Lion faithful. Leo Lehir was asked to add some freshness to the pitch in his first appearance for months. 


That goal knocked the stuffing out of Brereton Town and the celebration from Jimmy Matyus knocked the stuffing out of Jimmy Houston! 

The Lion were not finished though and sensed more goals. A desperate Brereton Town attack  was cleared to The Pig who outpaced big Dazza Ford to the first ball and made his way quickly to flank. Another Brereton Town defender lunged in but there was no catching the flying Pig who sprinted to the byline and pulled the ball back to the waiting Debo. Debo patiently evaded a defender and blasted the ball past the keeper with his size 16 boot. Job done. 

5-2 FT


A pleasing display, some great battling and The Lion never gave in when things were not going so well at the start. Another big game for The Lion this Sunday when they welcome relegation rivals ST. Matthews to The Social in another 6 pointer. A second league win in a row will see The Lion start to build up a decent momentum and have lots of games in hand on the teams above them. 


MOM= Some great displays, with no player under par. The ref went for Alex Houston and it is a strong shout as he had an awesome game. But for taking his goals so well, working hard and setting up others the award is heading to Cunny.   

Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia