Away friendly match played on 06 April 2014.
Kicked off at 10:30 AM

An entertaining friendly ended in a narrow defeat for Chequers, but the result doesn't even begin to tell the full story of a match which contained 5 goals, a penalty given and subsequently rescinded, multiple yellow cards and a sending off.

Chequers started the game in an attacking 4-3-3 line up with centre back Neil Bishop again used in a forward role to try and bolster Chequers' faltering attack. Club legend Rob Burns filled the gap in defence, but in truth Chequers did not look organised at the back in a disappointing first half. St Mary's took full advantage of some poor positional play to take a deserved 1-0 lead; their left winger ghosting in at the far post to finish off a nice team move with a crisp half-volley into the bottom corner. A few minutes it was 2-0 to the home side as Chequers failed to mark properly at a corner, allowing a free header which Chris Wills will perhaps feel he should have dealt with on the goalline. Things went from bad to worse as St. Mary's pressed home their first half dominance further, taking a 3-0 lead into half time courtesy of a goalmouth scramble. Roullier came off his line to close down the striker who was clean through, but the resulting clash saw the ball bounce to an unmarked St. Mary's player who rolled the ball into the empty net despite a hint of offside.

A half time change of formation and some rasping words from Enzo Sgambati bore instant fruit for Chequers in an incident-packed second half. In-form striker Dean Hinton was on hand to fire in off the crossbar at the second attempt after Michael Ryan released him in the penalty area. Within minutes Hinton had doubles his tally for the day, this time a wonderful through ball from Tim Warne was controlled and instantly dispatched into the bottom corner to have Chequers back within one goal of their hosts. Confidence was high and the introduction of the impressive debutant Brett on the left wing allowed Tom Smith to spray some excellent passes out to the wings as Chequers sought the equaliser their play deserved. The breakthrough looked to have come on the hour as both Ryan and Warne were fouled in the penalty area at the same time; the referee instantly pointing to the spot. However, as Hinton placed the ball in preparation to claim his hat-trick goal, the referee rescinded the penalty after discussions with his assistant and instead, incredibly, awarded a drop ball outside the penalty area. Michael Towler was booked in the ensuing melee but the decision was made and St. Mary's cleared the immediate danger. St. Mary's improved slightly after this, forcing a number of free kicks around the Chequers penalty area, one of which saw Bishop take a yellow card for a hard yet seemingly fair tackle. Stu Rolls was also then yellow-carded after cleanly winning a header against a much smaller opponent, but the referee awarded a foul and booked Rolls for his protestations. A number of substitutions then occurred as Chequers desperately searched for an equaliser. The closest they came was Bishop drilling the ball into the net, but the assistant's flag was raised and Bishop's furious protests saw him sent off after receiving a second yellow card.

It was an unfortunate defeat and a lot can be taken from the team's second half display. Dean Hinton was awarded Man of the Match for his two goals.

Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia