Home cup match played on 23 November 2019.
Kicked off at 2:00 PM

Fossoway eased their way in Round 3 of the Fife Cup at a rain-hit The Myre with a comfortable display against Championship side Kelty.

With 8 players absent, a make shift Central defensive partnership saw stand-in captain Kieran Wilson again showing his versatility alongside Damian Gonsales. Skipper Martin Payne was absent which meant a partnership for Simon Sanaghan and Callum Grindlay, with Liam Murray and Andrew Reade coming into the midfield as well.

Visitors Kelty had the game's first chance in the 3rd minute bringing out a fine save from Mark Robertson, and in the 11th minute another opportunity went wide.

Kevin Crookston provided Foss's first serious chance at goal in the 18th minute with a long range effort saved after good play on the right hand side from Murray and Scott Sneddon. Three minutes later Reade sent a rasping volley just over after a good lay back from Grindlay.

The deadlock was broken in the 24th minute when another typically dangerous long throw-in from Andy Gourlay was headed home from close range by Gonsales.

Foss were starting to get a foothold on the game and in the 34th minute Ciaran Reilly headed over a curling Gourlay free kick, whilst moments later a dangerous cross across the face of the Kelty goal from Reade was flicked behind for a corner. Reade went close again on the stroke of half time, latching onto a weak defensive head back towards goal but the Foss man couldn't keep his effort down.

A spell of early second half pressure saw opportunities for both Callum Grindlay, bringing a save from the Kelty keeper, and Sneddon who cut his chance across goal and past the far post.

Reade again had a good chance on 55 minutes when he nearly capitilised on the visiting keeper fumbling a low cross from Sanaghan, whilst Reilly hit the post moments later after a driving run into the corner of the Kelty penalty area. Foss were creating chances, but just unable to put the game out of sight. Sneddon poked an effort wide in the 62nd minute after a good cross from Reilly on the left saw a stretching Reade put the ball into Sneddon's path with the goal exposed.

The second goal came in the 63rd minute when a through ball caught the Kelty keeper and a defender in doubt as they both went for it. As the keeper slid towards the ball, he collided with his defender and the ball fell loose for Reilly who made no mistake slotting into an open goal.

Kelty weren't going to give up and they kept battling away, Miller having an effort well saved by Robertson, whilst Murray himself had a couple of chances to score for Foss.

The Foss number 7 couldn't miss as he netted in the 79th minute after brilliant work by sub Daniel Kenny on the right sending a lethal low ball across the face of the goal which fell to Murray at the far post to smash home.

Kelty substitute Greenaway netted a good consolation goal in the 85th minute, but their joy was short lived as literally moments later Murray was put through on goal and the wee man made no mistake crashing home an effort at the near post.

A good display from the home side, without ever needing to hit top gear, they did enough to put in an assured performance and make progress to the next round of the Cup.

Best wishes to Kelty for the rest of the season.

Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia