Home league match played on 24 February 2024.
Kicked off at 2:30 PM

Burgh returned to East Shore Park for another of those “must-win” games against a side directly around them in the table, unbeknown that a new manager was waiting to be unveiled to his new side after the game.

Barring a suicidal 8 minute spell, it could have been a very different game with Burgh more than a match for their opponents from the Capital. Indeed, the early chances went the way of the home side with in-form Mitchell Sharp having a couple of chances in the opening 20 minutes – one a smart turn and shot wide of the post, the other an effort over the bar at the back post from a corner. Also Owen McNally couldn’t quite get enough power on his effort to trouble the visiting keeper.

But then a crazy spell saw the hosts collapse like a pack of cards and United were on hand, like so many other times, to capitalise on any mistakes.

In the 20th minute a long pass to the right wing by Wilkes caught the Burgh defence flat-footed, and a cross from the right was whipped along the six yard box to be knocked home from a tight angle by Richmond.

The second goal on 23 minutes was a gift for Edinburgh as Harris Mitchell played a back pass to Jack Foster. Foster side footed to prepare himself for a clearance but his touch was a bit too heavy and was seemingly unaware of Richmond coming in from the left to intercept and tap home.

On 27 minutes a Murray free kick into the Burgh box was headed goalwards and Foster did brilliantly to push onto the bar, but Donaldson was on hand to poke home to score.

3-0 quickly became 4-0 moments later as a corner on the right saw Wilkes escape his man to finish from close range with most of the crowd scratching their heads of how a fairly even game up until moments earlier had changed so dramatically.

Burgh’s woes continued when Jamie Fyfe limped off injured on 32 minutes to be replaced by Elliot Jowitt.

Foster redeemed himself on 38 minutes when he flung himself to finger tip an Edinburgh shot over the bar for a corner.

As Burgh entered the field for the second half, you could easily wonder what the shell-shocked troops could muster. The answer came within a minute as good work from Kellar Harris on the right sent over a cross that was excellently met on the six yard line by McNally to volley home to reduce the deficit.

The home side’s bad luck continued, though, as minutes later Harris Mitchell hobbled off injured to be replaced by Lewis Stevenson.

The game seemed to level out a bit for a while until Egan caught the Burgh defence napping with a shot off the post from close range and he was quickest on hand to follow up the rebound to make it 5-1.

Mitchell Sharp made it 2 goals in 2 games as Burgh intercepted a pass out of the United defence and Kellar Harris cleverly flicked onto Sharp to run through and despatch clinically past the onrushing keeper to reduce the arrears once again on 82 minutes. It would be Sharp’s last action in the game as moments later he also limped out of the action to leave Burgh with 10 men having used up all their available substitutes.

In the dying moments Edinburgh won possession on the half way line and a quick ball forward caught the Burgh defence out of position as Egan ran on, rounded Foster and slotted home to make it 6-2.

Committee Man of the Match: Owen McNally.

Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia