Home league match played on 22 February 2014.
Kicked off at 2:00 PM

There was a change of venue for Smithswood's home tie due to an issue with the availability of their normal home pitch for this league game between Smithswood and Silhill. The game was played at Chelmsley Town's ground.

The match started brightly for both sides who were eager for action having not played in seven weeks. Smithswood took the lead 12 minutes in as Anderson put Harris in one on one with the keeper who calmly slots the ball home.  

Anderson should of made it 2-0 shortly after. He was put through by Thomas and was clear one on one but he put his shot just wide. Anderson went close again when he was again through with only the keeper to beat. He calmly rounded the keeper with the open net in front of him but as he pulled the trigger the keeper hacked him down cynically. It should have been a penalty but the referee gave a free kick right on edge of the box.

Half-Time Smithswood 1 Silhill 0

Smithswood started quick in the second half and were 2-0 up within three minutes of the re-start. Great play by Anderson to reach the ball when everyone else gave it up to cut it back to Short who was on hand to tap it calmly in the back of the net. Smithswood appeared to be cruising and in control of the game. As we see so many times though 2-0 is a slender lead and it was halved on 61 minutes due to some poor defending. Smithswood let the ball bounce and the Silhill striker slotted it home to make it 2-1 and game on again.

It only took Silhill six minutes to draw level. It was poor marking by Smithswood that let their player walk through the defence to get one on one with Grogan and he made no mistake, slotting it in the far corner to level things up at 2-2.

Smithswood worked hard to get back on top and seven minutes from time got their reward. Short whipped his corner in to the back post where Evans rose above everyone to head the ball back accross goal and in to the far corner. Smithswood were back on top and just needed to keep things tight for the last seven minutes but a poor ball by Harris fell straight to their striker 30 yards out. He still had a lot to do but went past three players as if they weren't even there and finished calmly to make it 3-3 with only two minutes left in the game.

Anderson went close with the last kick of the game hitting a fierce shot which hit one post, rolled along the line and hit other post and came out. So close to the winning goal


Full-Time Smithswood 3 Silhill 3 

While Paul Ryder will see this as two points dropped having been in the lead twice, his team remain top of the table by 5 points. While Old Wulfrunians have four games in hand, a famous manager once said "I would rather have the points on the board, than the games in hand" but only time will tell plus they are both still to meet in what will be a mid-week re-arranged night fixture in the coming months

Premier Round-Up

Handsworth GSOB 5
St Georges Warriors 4

Athletic Sparkhill 5
Walsall Phoenix 3

Village A 2
AFC Somers 2

Wake Green 0

Boldmere 1
Crusaders 0 

Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia