Home league match played on 22 September 2012.
Kicked off at 2:00 PM



A comfortable victory for Swinefleet in the League against newly promoted Barnetby, to give Swinefleet their first league points of the season.


With the kick-off delayed for 15 minutes awaiting the arrival of the Barnetby kit-man, Swinefleet roared into action from the first whistle. First chance of the match came on 4 minutes with full-back Gareth Welsh feeding 16 year-old Keir Vause on the left. A quick turn from Vause put him into the penalty area and his drilled pass across the face of the goal found Regan Allen coming in from the right, but the legs of the Barnetby keeper denied Swinefleet this early opener.


First 30 minutes was complete domination from Swinefleet. Cohen Vause scored a clinical goal on 8 minutes with a well-placed shot into the corner, and Swinefleet scored again on 13 minutes, this time from a corner, with a Barnetby defender under pressure from Will Sparkes heading the ball into his own net. With Swinefleet playmaker Aaron Raymond away on a romantic week in the South of France, the central midfield pairing for this match was the captain and hard-working Danny Nicholson, combined with the silky skills and talent of Niall Barker.


Chances were being created with Matty Eastwood testing the keeper on 18 minutes, but perhaps the pass of the match came from from K. Vause finding the intelligent run of Allen in from the right. But as in the first few minutes it was the legs of the Barnetby keeper yet again that denied Allen the goal he richly deserved. Swinefleet made the score-line more impressive, with Barnetby pressurised into scoring another own goal on 36 minutes to make a half-time score of 3-0 to the home side.


Swinefleet made a half-time substitution with 19 year-old Josh Lamming coming into left midfield and Regan Allen moving inside to replace captain Danny Nicholson. The pace and trickery of the teenager Lamming made an immediate impact, and with virtually his first touch of the ball, he was already testing the Barnetby keeper. In the first 15 minutes of this second half, Barnetby enjoyed a little more possession, and they gained some reward when they pulled a goal back on 54 minutes from a corner. Within minutes of this goal, Swinefleet went further ahead, with Barker’s 25 yard pass finding the run of C. Vause, with Vause rounding the keeper to score.


On 61 minutes, Tony Nicholls was brought on to replace K. Vause, and Swinefleet continued to create chances, and with better finishing could have put the game right out of sight of their opponents. With Scot Jackson and Will Sparkes having solid performances at centre-backs and both full-backs Liam Cooper and Gareth Welsh also playing well, it looked unlikely Barnetby would score through open play. This was indeed the case, as they made the score-line 4-2 on 73 minutes with a powerful free-kick just dipping past Swinefleet keeper Jamie Ward. Swinefleet finally put the match to bed on 79 minutes with a good run and left foot finish from Lamming.


Referee’s Man of the Match went to Niall Barker, and the Reece Lumley Sponsored Man of the Match Award went to Keir Vause.


Next week Swinefleet are away in the Challenge Cup V Bottesford Town Res. All players to meet at Marshlands at 1.00pm.


Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia