Away league match played on 28 April 2013.
Kicked off at 10:30 AM

The UNITS traveled to Stanley Road this morning to take on 3rd placed Stourbridge Rangers just a couple of days after their Quarter Final win. The UNITS also found themselves without Newts, Ashton, Taylor & Gilo as we lined up

Mala, Kieron, Pountney, Eggy, Barney, Baker, Stef, Ross, Acer, Azza & Ginge
Subs were Trigger, Cuzer, Rad & Coco

SR were struggling for a side too, with only 13 there yet they still had 8-9 regulars so we knew a tough game awaited us

Ginge was captain for the day and we decided to kick down the slope & with the wind first half and straight away we had SR on the back foot
Ginge & Azza were finding space and we were all over SR early on, Azza put in a great corner on 5 minutes which Acer made little contact with on the front stick when any contact was a goal, Ross had a couple of long range efforts, Azza had a shot saved and Ginge shot wide as we threatened to take the lead at will.
The first goal did come on 10 minutes and what a goal it was, Azza picked up the ball 30 yards out, showed good feet to lose his man, he rolled the ball square to Stef who flicked the ball up and then volleyed the ball into the top corner from 25 yards to give the UNITS the lead
It was no more than we deserved as we had SR pinned back 5 minutes later it was two, Ginge won the corner and Azza whipped in a low ball, Acer dummied at the front post and Ginge from 5 yards out headed into the net to put the UNITS 2-0 up
There was nothing coming back from SR with the UNITS looking solid and we made it 3-0 on 20 minutes when Mala launched a huge kick in behind their centre halves, the SR keeper misjudged the bounce and could only push the ball over his head leaving Ross the simple task of prodding home into an unguarded net from a few yards out
Azza was then robbed in the box just as he was about to pull the trigger as the UNITS kept on pouring forward and Lewis "Stuart Pearce" Pountney cut insdie and saw a low shot saved by the keeper

SR finally got a foot hold in the game with 10 minutes to go in the half, Mala made two comfortable saves from distance before a quick ball into their skipper released him in behind Kieron, as he cut into the box Mala brought him down giving SR a penalty, their lad stepped up only for Mala to fling himself to his right and push the ball away to safety

On 40 minutes Ross who had been caught a couple of times had to come off and he was replaced by Coco

There was still time for Barney to make a superb goal saving challenge which preserved the UNITS 3 goal lead as we came in at HT


Cuzer was delighted with the application in what was effectively a dead rubber of a fixture, we had way too much going forward for SR and credit to the back four too who were solid against a lively front line

With SR now down the slope & with the wind it wasn't the best start when the UNITS let them back in the game on 50 minutes, their lad shot from 25 yards Mala made the initial save but the ball came free with their striker forcing the ball home from a tight angle
Acer then roasted their full back and laid the ball back to Azza who mis kicked from 15 yards with a real chance for the UNITS
On 60 however minutes the UNITS restored their 3 goal advantage as the SR defender could only half clear his header and Acer volleyed over their keeper from 30 yards with a fine finish
Cuzer then brought on himself and Radman for Barney & Lewis "Leighton Baines" Pountney as we went 3-5-2 with those subbed Harriers bound

Azza then had to leave 5 minutes later which reduced the UNITS to 10 men but no fear as Cuzer when chasing a high ball with their striker dropped the "Iron shoulder" on him and the towel came in, with the SR forward clearly in no position to continue, before you knew it it was back to 10 v 10

The UNITS now with the electric pace of Cuzer, Rad & Eggy at the back were happy to sit deep and hit SR on the counter attack, Coco put a few quality balls in the box as we were a real threat on the counter, Ginge again went close whilst at the other end a 25 yarder was pushed away by Mala

On 75 minutes another long shot was parried by Mala who then caught the forward as he came in for the rebound, the referee again pointed to the spot and again Mala flung himself low, this time to his left to palm away the penalty

The UNITS were now comfortable and SR created little, Ginge got away with minutes left and with UNITS galore queuing up in the box he was caught in two minds and could only find the grateful arms of the SR hapless keeper!

A fine win with many key players missing against an always competitive Stourbridge Rangers
Another good team performance on the back of Friday's. Man of the match was again difficult, special mentions to Pountney, Barney, Eggy, Stef & Acer yet it has to go to Mala with 2 penalty saves and an assist

Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia