Home league match played on 08 January 2012.
Kicked off at 10:45 AM

The UNITS returned to action for the first time in 2012 against high flying Wall Heath Albion who sat 3rd in the table prior to this mornings fixture

Cuzer was without key players Darbs, Jim and Pountney was only fit enough to make the bench as we lined up as follows:
Mala, Chinner, Lacey, Barney, Kirbs, Ashton, Baker, Turner, Coco, Ross & Taylor
Subs were Eggy, Penna, Pountey, Jonah & Marcus

Cuzer said to the boys pre game it was all about the result today, we were obviously rusty having not played for 5 weeks but a win against Wall Heath would sit us nicely in the league table

On our new pitch too it was no surprise we took time to settle yet started the better of the two sides without threatening too much as Wall Heath played on the counter yet had the games best chance on 10 minutes when their midfielder cut across the 18 yard box and had a low deflected shot which Mala did well to parry away

At the other end Tayl's had clearly been on "the weights" at xmas as his throw was longer than ever and causing Wall Heath problems and from one half cleared effort Coco had a goalbound shot blocked
We were now on top and one lovely slick move involving Turner, Ashton and Taylor released Coco who whipped in a cross which Ross was inches away from heading home
On the 20 minute mark we took the lead when from a Coco near post corner Taylor got in front of his man to guide home across the keeper
Wall Heath then upped their game and Mala did well to tip over from an effort within the box
The UNITS quickly went in search of a 2nd though and Ashton went close before Chinner had a low goal bound shot blocked by the Wall Heath centre half with the keeper out of position

A 2nd goal would have been a nice cushion for the UNITS and they really should have got it just on half time when from a slick counter attack the ball found it's way to Ashton in space who had a shot blocked from 6 yards out and we had three stabs at the rebound and couldn't force the ball home as we came in 1 up

HT Units 1 v 0 Wall Heath

Cuzer asked the boys to keep the tempo in the 2nd half, today was always going to be a battle and we had shown great qualities in the first half

Now kicking down the slope you expected Wall Heath to take the initiative but it was the UNITS on the front foot from the off, Taylor missed a free header from another coco corner when any contact would have been a goal and shortly after from another Coco corner Turner volleyed goalwards from 8 yards only to see the ball hit the inside of the post and bounce along the line before being hacked clear

On the hour mark Jonah replaced Rosco in a like for like swap

Within 5 minutes however Wall Heath got themselves level, a good turn by their striker 30 yards from goal left us outnumbered and their winger got the better of Lacey before firing in a low cross to the unmarked striker, Mala did well to parry the initial shot only for the striker to follow up and tap home, it was sloppy play from the UNITS as despite moments of pressure we had defended well

Within 10 minutes the UNITS however got themselves back in front and it was our captain talisman Taylor with his 2nd again Coco whipped in a corner which was helped forward in the box and Taylor showed great strength to hold off his man before firing low in the corner from 12 yards

Wall Heath then went 3 up top in an attempt to get back into the game but Kirbs and Barney dealt well with the aerial assault and we looked comfortable enough

Marcus replaced Turner with 20 left who had done well on his return to UNITS action and the Ox made an immediate impact firstly scrapping the post with a header from a Taylor throw and then showing great strength and skill to hold up the ball and release Jonah in behind the full back who dinked the ball over the on-rushing keeper only for the ball to drop inches wide of the empty net

Wall Heath continued to be competitive yet one blocked shot from the edge of the box was their best chance as we entered the last 10 minutes
Pountney then came on for Ashton who had picked up a knock and with his pace we were hurting Wall Heath on the break who were now having more possession but the UNITS stood firm and from more good work from Marcus, Pountney got to the byeline before squaring for a tap in which no UNITS player could get too
The referee played 5 minutes injury time and the UNITS almost shot themselves in the foot right at the death when we gave the ball away too cheaply and from a long ball the Albion striker got in behind us and went down under the challenge of Mala but the referee was having none of the penalty claims as the UNITS recorded a massive win to move to fourth in the table with games in hand

Man of the match went to Paul Taylor who worked tirelessly up top before shoring up the midfield for the last 15 minutes and weighed in with two goals, a real captains performance

Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia