Home league match played on 21 February 2009.
Kicked off at 2:00 AM

Having had the last 2 games postponed due to inclement weather Wigton got their stop start league back up and running with a home fixture against a solid Beckwithshaw reserves team.

Early signs were good as Wigton started brightly and were the better of the two teams in the opening 20 minutes however as has been the case of late, the once prolific Wigton front line is struggling to create any real chances of note in the final third. Despite dominating early possession Wigton only created a handful of half chances as the ever impressive Trueman continued to get the better of the opposing left back to deliver a number of crosses into the Beckwithshaw box however, no one was there to get on the end of them.

Beckwithshaw did come into the game in the late stages on the half however they failed to trouble Grimes who was only called into action on a few occasions when he needed to sweep up the long ball played over the well disciplined Wigton defence.

Having been the better team in the first half it was the visitors who broke the deadlock early in the second half as Wigton were slow to get going after the re-start. Beckwithshaw started brightly and following a team move were able to play a ball through to the Beckwithshaw striker who had creeped in behind the Wigton defence. Pleas for offside were turned down as the ref judged that Arron, who was having a good game at left back, had played the Beckwithshaw striker onside and  he slotted past Grimes.  

This goal kick started Wigton into life and it wasn't long before they were level. Trueman broke again down the right and as he beared down on the Beckwithshaw keeper casually played a 1-2 off the far post taking both the keeper and last defender out of the game before prodded home from a yard out.

Wigton continued to pressure Beckwithshaw and were now in the ascendancy as 2 clear cut chances were created for Scott Turner who had done well up front however he was twice denied by the keeper in 1 on 1 chances.

Wigton were soon to rue their missed chances when Beckwithshaw took the lead 5 minutes from time. A defensive re-shuffle was needed when Wigton stalwart, Andy Shatwell was replaced by Captain Bedders at centre halve due to injury and when Bedders got himself involved in an altercation off the ball the Wigton team stopped and Beckwithshaw broke through to take the lead.

More bad news was to follow when substitute Colombian John was sent off late in the game following 2 stupid yellow cards in the space of 2 minutes due to a total lack of self discipline. John then subsequently refused to leave the field and a lengthy FA ban now looks likely.

Despite this, Wigton could have snatched a late equaliser as a goal mouth scramble was unluckily sliced wide by Trueman before Beckwithshaw broke to fire a late third goal with the last kick of the game.

Once again Wigton were left feeling that they had been unlucky to not take the points from this game...a feeling that has been all too common this season and should results not change quickly Wigton may find themselves having been "unluckily" relegated come the end of the season. A good run of results in now essentuial over the coming weeks starting with Pannal at home on the 28th February.   

Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia