Home league match played on 22 November 2008.
Kicked off at 2:15 AM

Wigton went into this game knowing a win was essential to get their league campaign back on track in what was a bottom of the league battle.


Wigton began the game the brighter of the two teams but despite dominating possession and creating a few early opportunities it was Boroughbridge who took a shock lead. Improvements in the Wigton teams organisational levels between a back line and midfield four working as a unit were evident but on one occasional when the Wigton midfield were unable to close down a Boroughbridge player a well struck low long range effort found the bottom corner of Grimes’ net.


Within minutes of falling behind Wigon showed the commitment that was evident last week against Ripon when they quickly scored to cancel out Boroughbridge’s opener. A good through ball from Eddie found the surging Trueman down the right wing who slipped one past the advancing keeper. Parity of the scores were short lived though when an excellent finish, this time from just inside the area, gave Boroughbridge the lead again from only their second attempt on goal.


Shortly before half time the scores were level once again when a long thrown from Dom Hallas was flicked goalward by Bedders before a Boroughbridge defender got the last touch past his own keeper.     


The second half saw Wigton begin where they had left off but a rare attack by Boroughbridge could have given them the lead had it not been for an excellent last gasp covering tackle by Dom Hallas. Within minutes Wigton deservedly took the lead through Mike Shaw following a neat 1-2 with Bedders on the edge of the area before casually slotted past the advancing keeper. The fourth goal came shortly after when Ebun got on the end of another Bedders assist.


The game then changed on the hour mark when a Boroughbridge midfielder was finally sent off after a number of dangerous tackles together with dissent shown towards the ref. With Boroughbridge now in chaos and a man down the Boroughbridge keeper following a number of excellent saves gifted Wigton their fifth of the game when he dropped the ball only a few yards out at the feet of Ebun as he notched his second of the day.  


The triple substitution of Bedders, Mike and Dom allowed Jordan, Chris and Arron to join in the keep ball session as Wigton continued to move the ball around well as they used their numerical advantage. Ebun completing his hat-trick shortly after when he got on the end of an Eddie Tink pass and Trueman completed the rout with best goal of the game with a well placed effort with his left foot from the edge of the area.


Next up, Wigton travel to Harold Styans were they will be looking to build on this first league win of the season.  


Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia