Home league match played on 23 April 2013.
Kicked off at 6:15 PM

Brereton Lion made it five wins in a row, and their 4th straight league win by beating local rivals Ridware Oak 2-0. A tight game, played on a very hard, dry pitch was a decent spectacle for a larger than usual crowd enjoying the evening sunshine. 

As always with midweek games The Lion were forced to change their team about with players absent through work. Cushen was in goals with a defence of Jimmy Matyus, Lezniak, JR and Mark Hackett. Midfield consisted of Houston, Crutchley, Simpson and Wright with Cowlishaw supporting Crozier in attack. 

Ridware Oak manager Richy Knight  had one eye on The Brereton Town cup final on Sunday by resting star striker Morgan Hurley. The Lion were not without their own star players though with Dunn, Cunningham, Matty Hackett, Stockhall, Sam Deeley and Jake Daley all absent. 

The Lion started the strongest and pressed high. The Oak line up featured a few squad players who were looking rusty and careless when pressed on the ball. Houston, Cowlishaw and Crozier were closing down well and it was a pleasing Lion start. Crozier nearly slotted home the opening goal of the game when a cross from Houston was slightly behind the target man who attempted a flick towards goal that brought jeers from the crowd. 

The only real player of note for The Oak was new signing Stevey Allen. His passing, touch and composure on the ball allowed Ridware a spell in the first half where they were slightly on top. 

Disaster early on for Crozier who hobbled off with an ankle strain. On stepped Franklin, who only missed out on a spot in the starting eleven due to having to work over. Franklin was asked to play up front and hold the ball up for the onrushing midfielders. Franklin soon got stuck into the tackles and had to be calmed down by the ref after chucking in a heavy tackle on his good friend Joe Murphy. Wright and Houston were constantly skinning their markers and Simpson, Crutchley and Cowlishaw were looking strong in the middle. Matyus was out to impress in his first start for a while, Lezniak and Jr (A massive injury doubt before the game) were solid and Mark Hackett was once again defending well. The Oak were relying on Murphy and Lycett to hold the ball up but The Lion defence were not giving them a kick. 

The Oak hung on for half time without conceding a goal. The only time they even looked like scoring was when Crutchley cleared well from the six yard box under pressure. The Lion had the best of the half but were guilty of not taking their half chances when they came. 

HT 0-0

The second half was more the same with The Lion pressing to try and get the opening goal and The Oak defending well. Cooper especially, playing as a sweeper in The Oak defence was covering well for his defence. 

Credit to Adam Crutchley who was handed a man to man marking job at half time on Stevey Allen. I dont remember Allen even kicking the ball in the second half and Corrigan will be probably using this tactic again in the two big semi finals coming up against The Oak. 

Cowlishaw, Houston and Wright all went close to opening the scoring with The Oak defence working on overtime to stop The Lion attack. Whilst The Oak did not posses the skill levels of The Lion team they never stopped working hard for each other and never stopped running. 

The Lion were not sure whether to stick or twist. Cowlishaw and Houston were not sure if they should help the team out in defensive positions or try and gamble more in attack. Corrigan was urging The Lion forward, trying to give the capacity Lion crowd a goal to shout about. The Lion workrate was excpetional and Franklin, having been moved into a left midfielder role was busting a gut and very tidy in possesion. 

Just when it looked like the game was heading for a scrappy goal less draw The Lion finally got the goal they deserved, through a set piece. Cowlishaw swung in a corner and JR Dutton got his head to the ball before his man marker Gilo could close him down. A slight deflection (Was it an own goal??) helped the ball into the net. 


The Oak now had to push up and try and grab an equalizer and they left more space for The Lion counter attack. Instead of sitting on a 1-0 win The Lion sealed the game with a second only minutes later. Houston found himself presented with the ball in the six yard box. Houston is the only regular outfield attacking Lion player not to score yet this season and just as it looked like he was going to score he skilfully pulled the ball back to the unmarked Tommy Wright. The Pig is always greedy for goals and his left footed shot completely bamboozled Simmo to find the net. 

2-0 Full Time

Well done to The Lion who now sit third bottom of the league, chasing the three teams above, with 14 points. 3 big cup semi finals coming up, could be a great Lion Season. 

MOM= Jr Dutton very nearly never started this game. According to the man himself he was struggling to walk let alone play before the game. Well what a display, winning every header, talking and organising and getting the opening goal of the game for the second match in a row. Well done JR keep up the good work. 

The undefeated Magic Lantern are now playing us this Sunday at The Social Ground. The Lion will have thoughts on the Tuesday night game against Ridware Oak but will be looking to win and be the first team to beat this physical Walsall  side. 

Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia