Away cup match played on 24 February 2013.
Kicked off at 1:30 PM

Dynamo travelled to Duddingston in a repeat of last weeks farce, but this time in the quarter-finals of the Premier Division League Cup and with a referee that could tell the time.

Early morning snow had put the match in doubt, but the pitch was in surprisingly good condition if a touch on the slippy side.

Dynamo started like a team wanting to make up for a poor performance last week and quickly established their quick passing football. With Shaun Davidson causing some problems down the left it looked like Dynamo would strike early, and they did.

Some excellent hold up play from Ian Short allowed him to find some space in the box before crossing well to the back post. Martyn Murray lept the highest(not often I can say that) and headed the ball back across goal for Shaun Davidson. From 2 yards his 1st effort was blocked and he seemed to mis-control the ball over the line. Davidson is quickly developing the knack of scoring horrible goals,but they all count.

Dynamo should have went 2 up midway through the half as they broke the offside trap. Again Davidson was through but he was clattered by the defender. As the ball fell to Ian Short with only the keeper to beat the ref allowed the advantage to be played. The ref has seen Short through one on one before so I was surprised he thought this was better than a free-kick. As Short advanced on the keeper he somehow hit him with the ball, in the resulting scramble Short then put wide from 5 yards.

Dynamo continued to press but couldn't quite manage to score a 2nd before the break.

At the other end the new look defence was relatively solid apart from some terrible passing by Robbie Graham. Just before the half ended Duddingston broke through on the left. The forward hit a good shot towards the bottom corner but an excellent save from Cossetini meant that Dynamo ended the half 1-0 ahead.

Dynamo started the 2nd half strongly and with their opponents tiring it was only a matter of time before they extended their lead. Unfortunately most of the shots were straight at the keeper and the score remained the same.

The introduction of Alan Parker brought some extra pace into the attack and he soon was charging towards the goal but the keeper, again, made a good save.

Eventually the 2nd goal arrived. A corner kick from captain Eamonn Reynolds was controlled, then smashed low into the net by Martyn Murray.

With Leon Reynolds charging up and down the right wing, Dynamo were sure to score more. On 81 minutes Murray scored with a lovely lob from 20 yards. The lob is certainly starting to be his favourite finish these days. Murray then missed a great chance for the hat-trick when another lobbed dropped just wide. Leon Reynolds seemed placed to score but the defender managed to clear, although he did end up eating post.

At the other end Duddingston hit the bar and with the keeper on his knees the rebound was headed straight at him.

Andy McGowan then thought he had broken a rib after colliding with an opponent. After a quick cuddle on the sidelines he soon re-emerged as a centre forward. He burst through the defence before squaring unselfishly for Martyn Murray to complete his hat-trick. Murray then set off on a lap of honour before having a wee cuddle with the ref.

A good performance by Dynamo and they know await the draw for the semi-finals.

Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia