Home friendly match played on 26 September 2020.
Kicked off at 2:00 PM

It was a disappointing conclusion to what was to be a special day in memory of a man that meant so much to both sides, and the people of Kinross, in the 1st Annual Sandy Fraser Memorial Cup match.

It could have been a completely different story had the Colts made a first half break-through that their chances created, but ultimately paid the price for just missing that final part of the jigsaw with the inability to take their chances by conceding on the few opportunities that found their way towards the Colts goal.

Colts welcomed back Andrew Smith up front alongside Andrew Reade, and both were working towards getting match fitness with the latter, in particular, looking lively but unable to convert chances with near misses or good Kinross defending stopping Colts taking the lead.

Charlie Marshall also came close in the 18th minute when he rose the highest to meet a Callum Grindlay corner, but his header flew just wide of the far post. Jamie Forrester also had a number of chances, with the Kinross keeper blocking his way in the 23rd minute.

Smith missed a glorious chance to open the scoring in the 27th minute on the turn from 6-yards out after a great move by Reade presenting him with a low ball, but his effort flashed wide.

Jamie Tierney was shining in midfield and was unlucky to have a spectacular overhead kick goal disallowed for dangerous play with a defender also going for the ball at the same time.

The visitors hadn't created any real opportunities themselves, but took the lead on the stroke of half time in controversial circumstances with Colts short at the back after Lewis Caulfield was grounded with a head injury (which ultimately ended his game shortly into the second half). Play continued whilst his team mates were concerned for their injured skipper and Kinross took advantage.

Things went from bad to worse when a long ball forward in the 50th minute caught Colts out and the visitors striker latched on to loop the ball over the advancing Mark Robertson for 0-2.

Forrester had another couple of chances after good work, but his end shot lacked the power to trouble the Kinross goal. On 63 minutes Derek Page rattled the crossbar with a long range shot with the danger then cleared. Ten minute later, Forrester again weaved into the penalty area but his effort flashed across the face of goal.

Kinross applied the killer blow in the 76th minute when Ferry was left unmarked on the right hand side of the penalty area and he drilled home past Robertson with Liam Munro unable to get enough to keep the ball out. The goal eliminated all remaining hopes of a comeback. In fact, it could have been worse in the 85th minute if not for a brilliant one-handed save by Robertson tipping the ball over for a corner.

The Colts did well for the majority of the first half, soaking up anything that came their way, controlling the game and creating chances. But somehow they lost their foothold in the game. On the plus side, there were a number of great chances created that on another day would have nestled in the net.

On a day that was to remember a legend in Sandy Fraser, you can't help thinking he would not have wanted the game to end quite like this, but he would have been happy with the spirit the game was played in. Sandy Fraser left his mark within football in Kinross and it is hoped this will be an annual fixture to continue Sandy's memory and legacy.

Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia