Home league match played on 18 December 2011.
Kicked off at 10:30 AM

Pyrford were undone by a cruel late winner in an even contest against champions-elect Milford Green.  The kick off was delayed slightly by Nathan and Snipes' late arrival after train delays, but it was soon in full swing with both sides threatening early.

Milford got in down their right flank, and looked odds on to score with Ben and Rich stranded, but a brilliant last ditch challenge from Greg kept it goalless.  At the other end, Snipes was a constant thorn in Milford's defence and really should have scored after fashioing his own chances, but hit the first one at the keeper and the second against the far post from a tight angle.

The rest of the half was a more even affair, with both sides cancelling each other out, but Pyrford were slightly on top as they looked more solid at the back.  Rich did a marking job on the league's top goalscorer who caused Pyrford so many problems in the corresponding fixture earlier in the season, and completely marked him out of the game.  He almost managed to evade Rich once though, and his layoff forced Ben into a sliding challenge from which he somehow managed to hit the post from 15 yards, but it was goalless at half time.

With the slope in the second half Pyrford started brightly and pressured the league leaders with a succession of corners, but couldn't make the breakthrough.  The opening goal went to Milford on the break and slightly against the run of play, as the home side's lack of pace was exposed, and the turn and expert finish from the Milford winger gave Nathan no chance.

Pyrford pushed forward in search of the equaliser and were camped in Milford's half but couldn't get the goal their play richly deserved.  Thommo came closest with a cross-shot that looped over the keeper and onto the top of the bar, but it was looking like one of those days. 

Soon after though the goal came.  Another cross into the box caused a scramble, and after a deft touch from Arran, Andy Kidd struck a sweet half volley into the top corner.  It was all Pyrford from here, but Milford looked threatening on the break.  Several shots rained in on the Milford goal, but none of them were seriously troubling the keeper, as Pyrford pressed for the winner they needed to stand any chance of catching their opponents in the league.

With the 90 minutes almost up, Rich took a ball in the face, and had to go off.  Duane replaced him and went up front in a last minute attempt at the win, with Lewis filling in at the back.  It was perhaps fitting then that the winner was scored with man of the match Rich off the pitch, as the Milford striker burst clear in the 90th minute and showed great composure to slot home the winning goal with his first chance.  It was a goal that more or less gave Milford the title, and certainly finished off Pyrford's dwindling hopes of challenging.

It was cruel on Pyrford who were more than a match for Milford over the 90 minutes, but the extra quality in front of goal was telling.  Although it was tough to take, Milford are by far the best team in the division, and Pyrford can take heart from the fact they could've easily won the game, and they now need to carry this form into the new year.

Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia