Away league match played on 13 January 2013.
Kicked off at 10:30 AM

Despite leading twice in the second half, Pyrford had to settle for a point in a scrappy game against The Castle, not helped by a very poor refereeing display.  Due to council ineptitude, the ground at Victory Park was not available as it was 'meant to be snowing', so the game had to be relocated to Ottershaw at the last minute.  Alex Fuller made his debut for the club having signed in the week, and Fowler made a welcome return to the side.

Pyrford didn't start at all well though and were a goal behind very early on.  A through ball from an unchallenged midfielder let The Castle forward run on to round Duane with ease and give them the lead.  This was 2-0 soon after as Duane spilled an innocuous looking free kick, giving the oncoming forward an easy tap in.

Pyrford's route back into the game was a comical one.  A soft backpass was chased down by Alex, and as the keeper cam to clear the ball bobbled up over his foot and into the goal.  A misplaced back-header almost gifted Pyrford a similarly ridiculous equaliser, but the ball rolled onto the post and away.  The equaliser was soon coming however, as Pyrford began to press.  A succession of corners from Matt caused problems, and Wattsy rose highest at the back post to score from 5 yards with a strong header.

Pyrford were lucky not to go behind again as a poor challenge from Andy Kidd in the area went unpunished, but this was one of a series of baffling decisions by the referee, who had at this stage lost any control over the game, and it was more luck than judgement that tempers didn't boil over.  The Castle did get their lead back before the break however, after an underhit crossfield pass by Summers left Greg short, and the Castle winger ran on to score.

Ben and Arran came on at half time for Alex and Kiddo, and Pyrford soon equalised again and were firmly on top.  A cynical challenge from behind on Wattsy on the edge of the area won Pyrford a free kick, and he got up and dispatched his 4th goal in two games, firing into the bottom corner.  The lead followed soon afterwards following good work by Chin on the left wing, as his cross found Wattsy, who laid the ball for Matt whose first time shot hit the post, and rebounded to Denyer to score.

Pyrford should've been able to see the game out from there as they were playing the better football and were only threatened by counter attacks and quick breakaways.  However another dreadful decision by the referee ensured a draw, as a long clearance from the Castle keeper went over everyone's heads and found its way to the striker.  Having been nursing an injury on Pyrford's goalline he was walking casually back into play, before the ball reached him in a position still beyond the last man.  When the goalkick was taken he was a full 30 yards offside, and out of the vision of the Pyrford linesman, but the referee once again failed to apply any common sense and allowed the goal to stand.

A draw was probably a fair result, but it is another game where Pyrford lost the lead and threw away points.



Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia