Home cup match played on 25 August 2016.
Kicked off at 6:00 PM

Tonight’s game against Lenzie YC Blue was our first home game of the season which was played at Ravenswood football Grass Park. This was our second league cup game and we were all unaware of how good our opposition would be, even though we had previously met a while ago in the development league. The previous games have been very close and both teams have beaten each other but by a goal or two, so we were all looking forward to the game.

The JBM boys needed to get back on track with a victory and after our last game and the amount of effort that they had all put into to training, there was no doubt in our minds that the boys were well and truly up for tonight’s game. We had to make a minor change due to an injury to James Wallace, with Reuben Gray stepping up into the right back position.

To our amazement in the 3rd minute, Lenzies first attack on the JBM goal resulted in them going 1-0 ahead. Not the start we were all looking for! The boys looked shell shocked, however if they are going to let teams walk through both the midfield and defence, we will get punished. This was yet again a wakeup call for the boys and they had all been told to fight back if we went behind, no heads should be going down, they needed to fight back straight away. The did just that as approximately 35 seconds after the restart Jamie McTavish unleashed a shot at goal after a superb run, and it hit the back of the net, top corner! Great goal, great team effort, just what we needed. This lifted the boys and no sooner after the start Logan Jarvie broke free through the defence and nearly broke our new nets! 2 goals in 2 minutes after going 1 down is not a bad effort! The game then settled down, however both teams were guilty of punting the ball up and down the field, just to clear their lines. Both teams were spilling easy passes around all areas of the park, which looked very scrappy. 25 minutes in and Lenzie were awarded a soft penalty (that’s 2 in a space of a week) which was converted to make it 2-2. Both teams then settled down and started to pass the ball about, JBM looking the more likely to take the lead, however they just couldn’t finish their chances in front of goal. Lenzie also had to thank their outstanding keeper for some great saves towards the end of the half.

HT 2-2

The boys had the majority of the play during the first half, but as we highlighted to the forwards, it’s the finishing that let them down and the lack of communication between the outfielders. No changes were made as it was too tight and any introduction could have an impact to the dynamics of the game. The boys started really well in the second half spraying the ball about like they know best and it took 7 minutes before the boys could get through on goal with Logan Jarvie with another break, slotted in Jamie McTavish to make it 3-2 and his second goal of the game. JBM continued to pile on the pressure and had a great spell of play, Calum Roberts bursting down the wing passed the ball over to Kenny Gemmell who smashed into the back of the net, great team move! No sooner as Lenzie kicked off from the restart, Andrew Duncan picked up a loose ball and fired it into Jamie McTavish to make is 5-2, and another Hatrick for McT! 3 minutes later again Andrew Duncan latched onto the ball to put Logan Jarvie through on goal to make it 6-2!!!! An unbelievable 4 minutes of play! We decided after being 4 goals ahead we needed to make some changes and rest both Kenny and Calum after a great innings! Logan Jardine came on for Calum and Stewart Kennedy went up front with Logan Jardine, McT dropping into the centre of midfield to support Reece Lafferty Deans. The boys then battled away again not taking advantage of the chances, some minor mistakes from all the boys letting their opposition into their half, however the JBM defence were still looking strong and with Ben Brown commanding the back line. Lee doing yet against superb in between the sticks. Lenzie in the last 10 minutes found their second wind nd turned up a couple of gears, continually hassling the JBM midfield and defence, to the point that they scored 3 goals in 6 minutes. JBM again looked shell shocked and lost all composure, every ball was getting launched out of their half, but the opposition kept coming back at them. A very nervy last 5 minutes for all the Coaches, parents and the boys both on and off the pitch. The boys managed to contain all the attacks that Lenzie threw at them, however it was a very close shave and a well-deserved win!

FT 6-5

Another lesson learned for the boys tonight, that they all must concentrate from the very first second to the final second of any game, they cannot afford to take their minds of the game, otherwise you will get punished, no matter how good you are. Even though we had a great start to the half despite losing a goal, we need to play as a team and work as a team. This was evident in the second half of the game with 4 goals in 8 minutes! It was a great spell for them all and great to see them playing superb football. We still have a lot to work on both on and off the field, however I am sure with time and effort, the fitness levels will be back to normal, the passing will improve and we will finish our chances!

Well done boys, good to see you scoring goals again! Roll on Saturday, against Bellshill Boys @ Sir Matt Busby Leisure Centre.

Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia