Away cup match played on 30 September 2012.
Kicked off at 10:30 AM

Leighton went into this game against a woodstock team containing Mario Balotelli's look alike with high optimism but in the end came away with nothing after a below par performance. Adam Georgiou came into attack to replace the injured wingrave and last weeks man of the match Marshall had to be content with a place on the bench as Neale and Edwards got the nod in midfield.

With woodstock playing a high 4-3-3 formation and using their wing backs well it was always going to be hard for the Town defence to contain them playing their usual 4-4-2 formation and so it proved. The opening exchanges were quite even however with both teams playing some decent passing football and it was town who opened the scoring after a deep corner by georgiou was met with a thumping header by Childs for his 4th goal of the season. However this was about as good as it got as town struggled to impose themselves ofen being caught two on one in the middle woodstock were now creating chances and should have equalised when dave migliori was caught 2 on 1 at full back with their winger playing it across only to see the home striker drag it wide with two players spare at the back post. With Town defending bravely it took a set piece to get woodstock back in the game as a diagonal free kick failed to be attacked by the town players and with Oxley caught on the wrong side of the centre forward it ended up cannoning off him into the corner of the net. After this Leighton tried hard to attack and get back into the game with Edwards and Neale fighting a losing battle in the middle of the park, Childs was causing some problems up front with his sheer physical presence and seemed towns best outlet, although any real chances were restricted to long shots. Woodstock could have scored 3 or 4 more times had they been able to finish as they regurly found themselves outnumbering town at the back only to choose the wrong option. They took the lead however just before half time when from a town clearence was intercepted and booted up field town keeper Sibley came out only to let the ball through his hands and allow balotelli an empty net to put the ball into.

At half time Town made a couple of suprising decisions by firstly taking off the impressive childs and bringing on Marshall and edwards being chosen as the man to replace him up front. The second half started like the 1st had finshed with woodstock straight on the attack a nd with Town now lacking someone to hold the ball up front it was all one way traffic with town trying to catch them on the break and Mattacks pace looking impressive down the wing their was always a chance. But after 60 mins Dave migliori was once again outnumbered on the left and with his brother coming across to help he took a ball to the face leaving him dazed and needing treatment to which he didnt recover to play on. It was during this treatment time that woodstock scored their 3rd with the ball going forward towards towns frontline only for their defender to win it again and smash a long ball to the big number 9 who turned Marshall and put it in the corner. Andrews then replaced Mike at the heart of the defence and town started to show some fight as they tried to get back in the match, Mattacks causing problems down the right, then decided to dive into a tackle he was never going to win, and was booked but suprisingly came the start of some really bizarre refereeing decisions as thier player grabbed him by the throat and pushed his head into the ground the ref only booked him for it. Leighton were now really getting their tails up and getting the pressure on and a ball to the back post saw Georgiou volley wide injuring himself in the process meaning town had to play the last 20 minutes with ten men. It was now a matter of town attacking and wanderers counter atacking and they hit the bar with a thunderous drve from as had been the norm throughout the game thier spare player in the box. Town did score again from a through ball by edwards Mattacks went through on goal and smashed it in the corner, big ten to go. However the Ref then made an unbelievable decisiona as ottaway moved into the area he was then booted high in the chest, a stone wall penalty? but no the ref somehow decided to give a free kick in the opponents box to the disbelief of both teams which was drilled wide by ottaway. this prooved to be the last real town chance and despite a great effort by the ten men towards the end the damage was already done. 

Time to concentrate on the main aim of the season and win promotion to division 2.   

Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia