Home league match played on 16 September 2012.
Kicked off at 10:30 AM

     Leighton started this game having to shuffle the pack after last weeks superb victory, in came the returning Oxley to partner the impressive Mike Migliori at centre back and with Piedot missing the versatile Bathie Neale was asked to play right mid this week with Marshall returning in centre of midfield.  For the 3rd game running Leighton made a slow start to the game and deservedly went a goal behind after 10 mins when there central midfielder was not closed down and he procceded to bang a 25 yard shot straight into the top corner, It was all town deserved and it could have been 2 moments later when there striker found himself unmarked in the area only to see the onrushing keeper sibley dive at his feet to thwart the danger. After 15 mins however against the run of play Town were back in it when Marshall picked up a pass from Edwards and drilled a hopeful shot at goal which the keeper dived over. This was just the kick up the ass leighton needed and straight from the kick off, Mattacks won the ball and sprinted down the right wing putting across a perfect cross for childs to score from 2 yards. Childs could have scored again minutes later shooting at the keeper from 6 yards. the next ten minutes were all town as they started to play the passing football they have been known for which Rangers struggled to cope with, especially down the wings were Georgiou, Neale and Mattacks were causing all sorts of problems. It was this combination that produced the third goal as Neale played the ball to mattacks down the right wing who played a quality ball to the unmarked georgiou at the back post who took one touch before places it into the corner. For the rest of the half leighton looked comfortable and could have scored a couple more, but right on half time a goalmouth scramble ensued, with sibley producing a top draw save only to see it land at rangers strikers feet who shot was then cleared by the hand of georgiou to their striker for a tap in. 3-2 at the break.

     Half time there was a suprise to everyone as the dangerous and impressive Mattacks was taken off for debutant Wingrave who was now playing up top with Childs. Leighton started the second half full of confidence with the back four all looking comfortable playing the ball out which helped create the base for an excellent passing performance which got the visitors riled. Both full backs were particuly impressive regurly bombing down the wing giving extra options in attack. It was down the left were the 4th goal came as Georgiou beat his man and produced a top quality ball across the 6 yard box which striker Childs gobbled up with ease. With Leighton now dominating the game, Rangers were looking to counter attack and nearly succeded when there striker went through on goal only to see Sibley stick out a leg to save his shot .After 71 minutes a corner by Georgiou was headed away to the waiting Edwards on the edge of the box who drilled a shot hitting every defender on its way to the target to make it 5-2. With Neale and georgiou now running riot on the wings Leighton were well on top and were awarded a penalty when trickery by Neale was to much for the full back who hacked him down. with Childs on a hattrick it was decided he would take the penalty, he then procceded to place it high wide and into the clubhouse behind the goal.

     For the last 10 minutes Rangers continued to press having corner after corner with no reward, as Mike Migliori, Terry greenall and Jason marshall especially standing out whilst the team was under the cosh but a great all round defensive display ensuring no more goals were conceded. Rangers were becoming increasingly frustrated and regurly kicking out at the likes of Dave and Jason who bore the brunt of it but it was keeper Sibley who took the worst of their frustrations as there striker proceded to kung fu Kick him in the head and chest, leaving him with a bleeding mouth and a massive gash across his chest. Tom Childs took the gloves from the dizzy Sibley for the last few minutes in which Town rubbed salt into the wound when Neale ran down the wing to the byline and pulled it backed to debutant Wingrave who after a lucky bounce of the defender produced a poachers finish and put it in the corner from 5 yards to complete the victory.


Man of the Match was given to Terry Greenall who again produced an excellent display at right back and is already starting to look like an excellent acquisition to the squad.


Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia