Away cup match played on 02 March 2014.
Kicked off at 10:30 AM

The UNITS finally got their semi-final on at the second time of asking against Kiddy Div 2 side Chaddesley Corbett. Once again Chaddesley's pitch was deemed unplayable but with the backlog growing for a lot of sides the WFA moved the game to a neutral venue so the game could go ahead.

Cuzer had the majority at his disposal only Barney and Jim not quite fit enough for selection as we lined up: Tom, DJ, Ben, PT, Sean, Baker, Ashton, Coco, Pountney, Azza and Seeks. Subs were Ryan, Gilo, Chinner, Newt and Trigger.

The UNITS got off to a flyer when with only 70 seconds on the clock Seeks put a throw to the near post where Tayl's flicked on for Pountney to ghost round the back unmarked and volley home from 6 yards to put the visitors 1-0 up. Chaddesley were playing one up top and packing the midfield which on a postage stamp of a pitch made good football difficult for all. Credit to Chaddesley despite conceding early they were working tirelessly all over the pitch. The UNITS best chances early doors came from set pieces one deep Coco corner was headed across goal by Millette with no UNIT on hand to turn the ball home from close range and then Taylor went close from a corner just clearing the bar. With space at a premium Azza and Pountney swapped positions with the message for us to exploit the flanks more. It was Coco who really should have added a 2nd when from a fine run he cut inside into the box but from 12 yards out and in a great central position he could only fire straight at the Chaddesley keeper.

On 25 minutes the game turned just as Chaddesley had started to ask a few questions of their own, lone striker Rich Ash getting involved in a tussle with Seeks before stamping on the striker in full view of the officials, the referee left with no choice at all but to send off the player. The rest of the half became a bit scrappy, Pountney had a clear chance on 35 minutes when he beat his man inside the box and went to place the ball in the bottom corner only to shoot inches wide when he should have scored. However on 44 minutes Pountney did add a second when Tayl's won a free kick deep in the UNITS half and took it quickly fizzing in a delightful 60 yard pass to Pountney who killed the ball in an instant before finishing superbly across the keeper into the bottom corner as the UNITS came in 2-0 up at half time.

HT Chaddesley 0 v 2 TS UNITS

Cuzer was obviously delighted with the score but you still felt the UNITS had many more gears to click in to as it was all a little too comfortable for us, especially against 10 men. On 50 minutes Seeks, who had struggled for space in the first half, couldn't be kept off the score sheet for long when Azza did well down the left, was clipped by the Chaddesley defender but the referee played the advantage, Azza slipped the ball wide to Seeks who from the edge of the 18 yard box fired across the keeper into the far corner to make it 3-0 and end the game as a contest. On the hour mark the UNITS made it 4-0 when from a free kick 30 yards out Azza whipped in a great ball which took out the keeper and Chaddesley defenders and Paul Taylor was left with the simple task of heading home from a couple of yards out.

Shortly after Cuzer made his first change bringing off skipper Taylor who had picked up a first half booking and brought on Ryan for his first action since picking up his knee injury back in October. On 65 minutes Newt's replaced Coco as we shuffled the shape, Newt was quickly into the action playing in a delightful through ball to Seeks who got away but could only shoot against the base of the post from 12 yards out with the keeper wrong footed. DJ then had an attempt blocked in the box and Ashton screwed a shot wide after a good passing move when again he really should have hit the target as we seemed to ease off the gas somewhat. Gilo then replaced Azza with 15 left as Cuzer used all 3 subs. It was left to man of the match Pountney to have the final word when Ashton played a slide rule ball into him some 18 yards out and he checked back and then fired in low, wrong footing the keeper at his near post to complete his hat trick as the UNITS reached the final.

A scrappy game on a small pitch in difficult conditions, the game obviously turning on the red card but ultimately a case of job done for the UNITS and a final awaits against Redditch side CBH Fasteners.

Next up we face Royal Exchange in a top of the table clash back in league action.

Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia