Home league match played on 22 January 2012.
Kicked off at 10:45 AM

The UNITS welcomed back some of the walking wounded against another side finding themselves 3rd in the table after an excellent result the previous week, New Inn Sports

Jim and Pountney returned to the 16 however Penna and Darbs were still out injured as we lined up as follows

Mala, Chinner, Lacey, Kirbs, Barney, Baker, Ashton, Turner, Coco, Marcus, Taylor
Subs were Ross, Eggy, Jim, Jay & Lewis

Cuzer changed shape and personal this morning and drilled it into the boys pre game about our expectations for what on paper was another massive game in our quest for promotion

New Inn are a good set of lads with good some players but their record against the UNITS is woeful with us always having the upper hand and they must have feared the worst this morning when with only 5 minutes on the clock Cuzer got the fast start he asked for as a free kick from Barney was expertly guided into the path of Coco by Marcus and Coco took a touch before sliding the ball past the on-rushing keeper to put the UNITS 1-0 up

Only 3 minutes later it should have been 2-0 when from a Tayl's throw Marcus rose highest to beat the keeper all ends up only to see the ball crash off the far post and roll along the line before being hacked clear

It was one way traffic and Turner was picked out wonderfully by Kirbs and should have done better allowing the defender to recover

Next up Tayl's went close after more good work from Marcus but the UNITS were not to be denied when on 15 minutes some slick play released Taylor down the right, he fired in a low cross which Coco controlled before slotting past the keeper for his 2nd and the Units 2nd as we were well in control

The tactics were working really well yet a couple of long balls wind assisted allowed the New Inn forwards to get in behind the UNITS back line but fortunately for us nothing came of them

Marcus was having a fine game causing the New Inn back line all sorts of problems and on the half hour mark he won a towering 50/50 header in the middle of the park which enabled Ashton to break at the New Inn backline, he in turn slipped it to Taylor who did well to hold off his man and place the ball into the bottom corner to put the UNITS 3-0 up

We had two or three more good chances to bury the game before half time but failed to take them and against the run of play and smack bang on half time Coco undone a bit of his good work by losing possession and New Inn quickly broke getting in behind Lacey to fire in a low cross for the unmarked striker to tap home

HT UNITS 3 v 1 New Inn

Cuzer encouraged the boys at HT as bar the last 30 seconds it was exactly what was asked of them, the next goal was crucial if it was ours you felt it was game over if New Inn got it, it was very much game on
Again we started well and Turner and Coco both had chances to increase our lead but had shots blocked or saved as we were still on top however on 55 minutes another through ball evaded our defenders and Chesney did well to hold off Barney and Chinner before slipping the ball under Mala from 10 yards to drag New Inn back into the game

It was now real game on as New Inn went from rabbits in the headlights to well up for the fight as the UNITS had to roll up their sleeves and dig in with plenty of time left in the game

Marcus had to be brought off shortly after due to a groin strain, The OX having a storming game and was unplayable for that first 30 especially, Pountney replaced in a like for like

Coco had another chance for his elusive hat-trick when the keeper saved with his legs as we still looked the more likely but New Inn were still competing well and Mala had to do well to punch the ball away under pressure before being fouled

Shortly after Lockhart replaced Turner and he was quickly into the game, beating his full back before fizzing a ball across goal which was cleared at the near post with Pountney waiting for a tap in

It was Pountney who had the next chance after more good Coco work he air kicked his initial shot before rifling in the 2nd attempt from 10 yards the keeper again saved with his legs

New Inn were not creating anything clear which was credit to Kirbs and co at the back but it was still very much game on as they threw more men forward.

Naturally this enabled us to be dangerous on the break Ashton had a shot blocked before Pountney beat the offside trap to be clear only to blaze over when through on the keeper

Eggy replaced Chinner with 15 left as Cuzer aimed to keep things solid which in the end the UNITS did fairly comfortably as we saw out the game for the all important win

Man of the match went to Marcus who was immense in the first half and was the catalyst for the victory as New Inn had no answer for his physicality and hold up play

Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia