Home league match played on 22 January 2012.
Kicked off at 10:30 AM

After the disappointment of last weeks match 3M looked to get back to winning ways v Queens Head. With the wind blowing 3M started the match with the wind behind them. The early part of the match was fairly even with the chance of a couple of breaks for both sides. 3M took the lead following a great run and chase from Stark resulting in him getting a one on one with the keeper. The keeper kept his effort out but the rebound dropped to the onrushing Bailey to lash the ball home. Shortly after 3M extended their lead when Edmonds laid the ball back to Bailey on the edge of the area, Bailey curled the ball into the top corner, 2-0 3M. 3M were now in cruise control knocking the ball around nicely and looking comfortable. Queens Head managed to get a lifeline after a through ball put a Queens player clear and he tucked the ball into the bottom corner beyond Atkins. 3M had a chance to extend their lead shortly after when Tyler slipped Bailey in with a nicely weighted pass, Bailey hit it first time but the keeper made a full length save to tip the ball round the post to deny him of his hat-trick. Atkinson then had a chance following Dunnet's free kick which was headed on by Stark and Atkinson's volley on the stretch went wide of the target. Dunnet then had an effort after a forward run by the attacking full back resulted in a one - two with Edmonds but Dunnet's shot went just wide of the upright. Half -time and 3M leading 2-1 and looking good value for the lead. 3M were now going against the wind but started in the same vein with Tyler's pass to the edge of the box being flicked on by Atkinson into Bailey's path, the ball then went back to Atkinson who's shot was brilliantly tipped over the bar by the keeper. From the resulting corner the ball landed at Bailey's feet near the penalty spot and as his shot looked goal bound a defender managed to head it wide for a corner. Within in a couple of minutes another chance came 3M way as a long ball from Dunnet gave Bailey a chance to run at the defence, he slipped Tyler into the penalty area, as a defender came across to make a challenge which could have been a penalty Tyler kept his feet to shoot at goal only for the keeper to make yet another save. From this corner the ball was headed back across the area by Edmonds, as the defender cleared the ball it fell to Dunnet on the edge of the area, his shot was aiming towards the top corner but the keeper had it well covered and caught the shot. Then disaster for 3M as Queens Head broke down the right and crossed the ball into the penalty area, the Queens Head player brought the ball down then turned before shooting at goal, Atkins made a great point blank save but the rebound landed back at the player for him to knock the ball in off the bar. 3M got a chance to restore their lead shortly after when Tyler played the ball out wide for Atkinson who's neat back heal fell into the path of Edmonds who's burst of pace took him clear of 2 defenders as he entered the box, his shot was again smartly saved by the Queen's Head keeper. 3M continued to pile on the pressure and after a short corner between Earl and Tyler, Tyler's cross was met by Beynon but his header went wide of the target. Queens Head took the lead against the run of play after a few missed tackles in midfield resulted in the ball being played through for a Queens Head player to slot the ball passed Atkins. This was very harsh on 3M who had dominated the game from the start to now find themselves 3-2 down. 3M next chance came after same good interplay between Dunnet, Earl, Bailey and Beynon set Tyler clear down the left flank, his cross was met by Edmonds who whilst on the stretch couldn't keep his effort down and the ball went high, wide and not very handsome. 3M tried to peg Queens Head back in their own half and earned a corner which Stark took quickly, firing it in for Bailey to meet it on the volley only to see his effort cleared off the line. 3M nearly got caught on the break but after the forward had got clear he could only drag his shot wide of the goal. Another chance for 3M, this time Tyler was put through by Earl his touch took him wide in the penalty area, his shot appeared to be heading into the top corner but the wind arched the ball wide of the goal. End of the match and a very despondent 3M couldn't believe what had just happened, as with the week before having looked comfortable they had managed to drop valuable points in the title race. Despite having plenty of opportunities to score a lot more goals when conceding 3 goals it's always going to be difficult to win games. As a collective the defending needs to improve and maybe the focus needs to switch to this over the coming weeks to get back to winning ways and let the attacking football take care of itself.

Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia