Away league match played on 30 September 2012.
Kicked off at 10:30 AM

A frustrating result today lads but plenty of positives to take from this defeat.


We started the game rather well and took an almost immediate lead after Eddy lobbed in a clever cross from the left hand side for Steve to finish from close range at the back post. This goal probably came too soon into the game as we lost our concentration almost immediately afterwards. Danny uncharacteristically gave the ball away just inside our own half and Knaphill quickly got the ball into their striker who finished well past Harry.


1-1 with about 10-15 minutes gone and it wasn’t long before we managed to concede a second. A mix up at the back led to the ball breaking kindly for the Knaphill striker who had the simplest of tasks of slotting past Harry from just outside the six yard area. Our response to conceding these two goals in quick succession was excellent. We rallied, made sure we didn’t get on each other’s backs and took the game to Knaphill. As the first half wore on, we got better and better and it only seemed a matter of time before we would get an equalizer. Danny Hart, back from injury was causing the Knaphill defense all kinds of problems but we couldn’t force the breakthrough and probably didn’t want to hear the half time whistle. HT 2-1.


The second half played out in the same way the first half ended with us very much in the ascendency. Knaphill seemed content with sitting back and absorbing the pressure so we continued to probe and try and force a breakthrough but unfortunately couldn’t create to many clear cut openings. We did have a bucket load of set pieces which we should have done better with but anything that was thrown into the box either, didn’t beat the first man or was too near the Knaphill keeper.


It looked as if we would need a moment of brilliance or a bit of luck to get the equalizer and luck wasn’t on our side when we were denied a clear penalty after Steve was brought down just inside the penalty area.


As the game drew to a close, gaps began to appear at the back and Knaphill took full advantage. The ball broke to their winger just outside the left hand side of the area who then drilled a shot across Harry into the far right hand corner. 3-1 with minutes to go and that’s how it ended.


These kind of results are always difficult to take but you’re always going to give yourselves an uphill task when you concede the type goals we did. We tried to force too many balls at times which isn’t our game and when we did play too our strengths, it was clear for all to see who was the better team.


Like I said before, plenty of positives to take from this game so let’s focus on what we did right and take that into our next match against Steamers Reserves.



Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia