Away cup match played on 24 October 2020.
Kicked off at 1:00 PM

The Saints are into the draw for Round 3 of the minor cup after a comfortable win over Fawdon FC side who play their football in the North East Combination League.

Their was welcome returns to the starting line up for two of last seasons star men with Louis Hutton making his first start of the season after injuring his shoulder in pre season while Ellis Burns returned in goal after working away for a while he was presented with his Golden Glove award from last year prior to the game.

Jay Brown also came back in at centre half after missing 3 games due to Holiday/Quarentine and was partnered alongside new signing Harvey Lockwood on debut, Liam Malby made his first Saints start up front.

The quay took a while to get into any sort of rhythm with a series of long shots not troubling the home side but on 18 minutes they went ahead. A Hutton corner was flicked on at the near post by Lockwood and captain for the day Dale Hood was on hand to turn the ball home from close range.

The home side then blew a fabulous chance to level the tie after the Quay launched people forward only to be caught out when Wasif Chowdry ran clean through from the halfway line but his tame effort was easily saved by Burns.

Brandon William's hit a deflected effort that crashed back off the post before Huttons cross also came back off the woodwork as the Quay looked for a 2nd.

On the half hour they got it as Williams found himself in space between the lines and he flicked a great ball through for Saints top scorer Alex Foreman to run and finish with a quality right foot first time strike.

Fawdon pulled a goal back a minute later with a quality goal pacy right winger Phil Thompson went on a great run before sending over a fantastic cross where forward David Weatherstone was on hand to head home.

The Quay made 2 changes at half time with Joe Connor replacing Foreman and Ben McDermott coming on for Hutton.

The 2 goal lead was restored 5 minutes after the break with Callum Ancrum getting his first Saints goal for 6 years as he rose highest to head home Williams drillee in corner.

Williams got the goal of the game on 56 minutes as he took Hoodys pass before turning and smashing home an unstoppable left foot strike from 25 yards.

Joe Connor was then upended as he ran into the area and Williams made no mistake from the spot to grab his 2nd of the game firing into the bottom left corner.

Williams was then giving the chance of a first ever Saints hat trick when another penalty was given but he was denied by a great save from Fawdon keeper Jamesy Macauley who dived to his right to keep the ball out but unfortunately for him Ancrum smashed the rebound across goal where a Fawdon player turned the ball into his own net.

Ryan Ferrier came off the bench to set up the seventh goal with a quality cross into the area seeing McDermott making a perfect run and jump to bury his header.

Kingy came on up front for the last 10 minutes but he couldnt end his goal drought.

A sluggish performance at times but good enough to get into the draw for round 3 which takes place some time during the week.

Featured Match Reports

Are you looking for something ? Search the TeamStats directory...

Team management made easy

Football team organiser? TeamStats is the ultimate football coach app, providing powerful all-in-one software to grassroots football teams around the world.

Learn more
Used around the world by clubs and teams from:
  • The FA Logo - English Football Association
  • Northern Ireland FA Logo
  • Scottish FA logo
  • United States Soccer Logo
  • Welsh FA Logo
  • Eire Football Association Logo
  • Czech Republic Football Association Logo
  • Singapore Football Association Logo
  • Australia FFA logo - Football Federation Australia